[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 09:00:18 PDT 2005

>From: Liza Featherstone <lfeather at panix.com>
>
>... you have, on the one had, ubiquitous leisurewear and sloppiness, and
>on the other, teenage girls getting plastic surgery for their 16th
>birthdays. which is obviously horrendous.

One odd cultural change is the shift from a preference for tailored clothes to one for sculptured bodies. In the old days, men invested a lot of money in getting skillfully tailored suits that disguised or drew attention away from phyical shortcomings. Now, the idea is to just get rid of bodily flaws -- whether by exercising or plastic surgery -- and wear lightly constructed clothing that shows off one's six-pack abs, buns of steel, whatever. Personally I favor the path of least resistance (no aerobics) and minimal invasiveness (no surgery). I say bring back tailored clothes. Most people are going to be overweight in any event, and fat folk definitely look better in dress clothes than in leisure duds (nb, Sidney Greenstreet).

Carl