[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

Liza Featherstone lfeather at panix.com
Mon Apr 25 07:55:49 PDT 2005

I agree with Wojtek that sloppy dress cuts across class lines, as does fabulous dress. Both seem far more cultural than economic. Urban black people - however poor - are definitely among the best-dressed Americans I have ever seen. Young African-Americans put so much thought into their appearance that fashion scouts troll their neighborhoods looking for future trends to sell to mainstream America. This long predates the "hip hop" generation -- just look at the great hats older African-American women wear to church. Or the time - and successful effort - black women of any age spend on hair or nails.

Here's another example: recently I saw a film about Bangladeshi sweatshop workers (the film was made by the National Labor Committee). Since I've never been to Bangladesh, it was striking to me how beautifully dressed the workers were - these were people working for extremely, criminally low pay, and the film showed their quite impoverished living conditions - huts constantly filled with muddy water by flooding. Yet, they dressed in gorgeous, brightly colored, flattering, ornate clothing. I don't think this was intentional on the part of the film-makers, but the amazing fabrics these women were wearing made a dramatic visual contrast to the drab cheap clothing they were making for Americans.

Whereas, plenty of white people in America, no matter how much money they have, don't really seem to care how they look. I think Steve was being deliberately provocative in his essay - because dressing well is so often seen as self-indulgent, he is pointing out that this is not necessarily the case and that dressing badly is its own form of indulgence. (I doubt he would deny that many sloppy dressers are good people who demonstrate care about their fellows in other ways - let's not take his contrarian thesis too seriously.)

Leisurewear, I would add to Steve's point, is a kind of sartorial SUV: it says, there's plenty of room in here for ME, and that's what matters.

In some sense, I think mainstream American culture has kind of an anorexic, or puritanical, view of appearance that is much like its relationship to sex. so you have, on the one had, ubiquitous leisurewear and sloppiness, and on the other, teenage girls getting plastic surgery for their 16th birthdays. which is obviously horrendous.

None of this is to say that I, personally, think anyone has a moral or civic *obligation* to dress nicely, not at all. A lot of people may have other things on their minds, and more pressing concerns, and that's fine. But, I enjoy and appreciate seeing people who make an effort -- not specifically to dress fashionably or in any specific way, but ANY kind of effort at all to express any sort of aesthetic -- and am grateful for it. I think plenty of other people feel the same way.

Liza