[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

snitsnat snitilicious at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 25 10:49:44 PDT 2005

At 01:08 PM 4/25/2005, Liza Featherstone wrote:
>Of course it is subjective. But I did give some examples of people looking
>good. They are quite varied (hats in church, colorful Bangladeshi wraps),

No. HAts in church? Any old hat? I see lots of hats on Sunday. You go to Jimmy's BBQ--the damned ugliest place you'll ever see, but good BBQ--lots of hats after chruch. Everyone's there for Sun. afternoon BBQ. Some hats, nice. Some hats not so nice. It's Sunday. Everyone dresses nicely. So? Hats on Sun don't tell me a thing about whether _you_ think it looks nice.

And no one here said dressing as you describe is a virtue. If they have, you need to name them. Otherwise, I'd call it a straw argument. Is there some tract that uphold dressing like shit as revolutionary or something?

My son's a total clothes horse. I've taught to get the best deals [1] and his friends always come to him to dress them. I don't know if people would think my son looks nice, but he has a rep for being a slick dresser among his cohort. (though I'm sure some of the outfits he wears, SEan Jon, FuBu, are exactly the stuff Woj thinks is sloppy.

[1] not to mention the active underground trade in stolen clothing. I had no idea 'til we moved from the 'hood!

Many white and straight men can still get a date and a
>job even if they look like hell -- but they're still a blight on the visual
>environment.

Yeah, and one of them here has the audacity to tell everyone he thinks left women look like shit. He dresses just as Dunscombe says! Who's to say he looks bad?! He's even noted himself that he's going to lose the ball cap. Why? What on earth is wrong with ball caps--in and of themselves. I just don't get it. But, maybe I just lack taste. Steve Philion just posted a pic (congrats btw!) and he's wearing just exactly what Dunscombe says is ugly. I don't think Steve thinks less of his fellow humans.

But, see, no one wants to talk about individuals they know and this stuff. Might hurt feelings, right? What makes it palatable to do it to some anonymous guy? What do you accomplish by it? All you've accomplished with me is that I'm gonna assume that all you'll be doing is checking out my shoes if I ever date get within 10 miles of NYC. And it looks like I'll more likely be moving to Hawaii!