[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Apr 25 11:48:10 PDT 2005

snitsnat wrote:

> And no one here said dressing as you describe is a virtue. If they
> have, you need to name them. Otherwise, I'd call it a straw argument.
> Is there some tract that uphold dressing like shit as revolutionary or
> something?

Well, I basically agree that taking some thought in how one dresses, that is, "dressing for others" and caring about beauty has virtue. Is dressing like shit "revolutionary"? -- lots of middle class kids think so -- it's partly a counter-cultural thing and partly anti-mommy thing -- so it plays out in Europe in the same way.

But i'll add that I have been a gross dress violator most of my life....tending to see saw between dressing nice when I feel good and dressing in jammies/sweats when I don't.

>> He's even noted himself that he's going to lose the ball cap. Why?
>> What on earth is wrong with ball caps--in and of themselves.

Nothing wrong with baseball caps on boys or even teenagers. On grown men...well it's just more of a sign that the guy still identifies with being a boy rather than being a man. That's very common in U.S. culture though where the ideal is basically to stay an adolescent your entire life.

> What do you accomplish by it? All you've accomplished with me is that
> I'm gonna assume that all you'll be doing is checking out my shoes if
> I ever date get within 10 miles of NYC. And it looks like I'll more
> likely be moving to Hawaii!

No, no, no. Liza is actually one of the kindest people I've ever met. Hawaii, on the other hand, totally solves the dressing problem....because you can't. It's too hot.

Joanna