[lbo-talk] dregs and drugs

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Apr 25 12:43:09 PDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Liza Featherstone wrote:

> Of course it is subjective. But I did give some examples of people looking
> good. They are quite varied (hats in church, colorful Bangladeshi wraps),
> but they all have this in common: people look like they're trying. Even when
> I don't personally love the results -- makeup on Tammy Faye Bakker, for
> instance, or 50 Cent's big gold jewelry - I'm still going to respect the
> effort. People wearing sweatclothes or leisurewear aren't trying.

There are obviously significant regional/subcultural differences here. Among the people I know, Tammy Faye's considered an ugly clown. The fact that she spends so much time to look like that just makes it more gruesome and deserving of ridicule. It's not just a question of how much effort is put into a look; it's a question of how that look reflects the values and norms of a group we identify with.

--For instance, women shaving their armpits: for many Americans, not shaving is appalling lack of personal hygeine; for other cultures, it's appalling to shave. What constitutes proper attire is culturally negotiated. It may take inordinate amounts of ritual to dress properly, or it may be simply putting on a robe. The objective amount of time or effort is more or less irrelevant to the question of what is "proper".

And not to sound like a cranky old radical feminist, but these beauty/attire standards are far from innocuous: for instance, the more onerous the beauty expectations are for women, the more time they have to devote/waste to be dressed "properly". Let's face it, there are a limited number of hours in a day: if, as a man, I get to put on a drab uniform quickly and a women is expected to dress more ornately, who has more free time for other activities (say, optional job training/networking)?

These differences in attire are not just personal style or some people "not putting in enough effort"; they are political through and through.

Miles