[lbo-talk] "5000 Worker March": activistism gives rise to planning meeting

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Apr 25 13:21:52 PDT 2005

robert mast wrote:

>We'll learn more on May 14-15 when Detroit will host a national MWM
>get-together that should bring folks together from both coasts and
>points in between for a National Reportback & Networking Meeting
>with the purpose of "Building the Movement."

That's an entierly different story. Shouldn't that sort of thing have preceded the march rather than following it by 7 or 8 months?

Doug

^^^^^^

CB: I think they were trying to solve the chicken and egg problem by the principle that to make an omelette you gotta break some eggs.

Actually , the other day , thinking of a recent demo the Detroit Million Worker March was in ,I said to Bob that I think it is kind of ok that he and I are doing a combination email-list and political activity at the same time, and that if we accomplish anything in this fight back against Detroit's exploiters and detractors, maybe we should write up something on "activistism" for Doug , Liza and their co-author. :>)

The National Million Worker March Movement invites Detroiters to a Community Labor Speak Out on Saturday, May 14, 6 pm at UAW Local 22, 4300 Michigan Avenue. The speak out is part of a national reportback and networking meeting featuring discussion on successful struggles to save public schools, defend immigrant rights and workers rights in the south and organize against the war and military spending that is bankrupting our cities. The speak out slogan is "Stop Starving the Cities to Feed the Pentagon ."

The conference will be held May 14-15, 2005 in Detroit, Michigan at UAW Local 22 * 4300 Michigan Ave. It is called to build an international movement to reclaim our cities from crises in funding, education, jobs, the environment, health care, social security, housing, voter rights, utility shutoffs, water rights, reparations and much more. A suggested registration cost for the daytime discussions on Saturday and Sunday is $25, $5 for unemployed (sliding scale). There is no charge for the evening speak out. A printable registration form is available on the Detroit MWM website, www.mwmdetroit.org

The Million Worker March Movement was founded after the October 17, 2004 rally at the Lincoln Memorial in order to organize a rank and file workers'effort to reverse recent setbacks to workers and communities across the US and around the world.

National Million Worker March participants include: Brenda Stokely, AFSCME Daycare Union leader, NY * Clarence Thomas, Dock Worker (ILWU Local 10) Co-Chair, Million Worker March * Saladin Muhammed, Black Workers for Justice, North Carolina * Larry Holmes, International Action Center * Maureen Taylor, Welfare Rights Organization * music and more .

Local contact number 313 706-2985.