[lbo-talk] Bob to Doug

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Mon Apr 25 13:29:31 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Lots of X are Y.
>
>Gee whiz.
>
>That also means that lots of X are NOT Y.
>
>This thread represents a new low in deliberate banality on this list.

How right you are. How people present themselves to others is meaningless and uninteresting. And since we're all individuals, generalizations are a form of epistemic violence. What we really should be discussing is things like the 5000 Worker March, that help us enumerate our strengths, and how to work for that revolution that's gonna come someday, but which we really can't work for, since history is just what happens, so I guess we really have nothing to discuess. Except maybe books we dimly remember from a reading 35 years ago.

Doug

Doug said:

"What we really should be discussing is things like the 5000 Worker March, that help us enumerate our strengths, and how to work for that revolution that's gonna come someday--"

I agree with you as far as you went. Last October's Million Worker March in D.C. did in fact leave a sort of legacy. Here in Detroit we have a small core of marchers who formed a MWM-Detroit committee which is engaged in some good local stuff. Our major focus is Detroit: a city near bankruptcy, with major lay-offs, whose assets continue to be plundered by capital. MWM-Detroit holds forums and participates with other working class-based groups in anti-capital, anti-imperial protests. It's not a big deal yet, but there is potential.

Other places have local MWM committees, and there is some kind of national coordinating body, though we don't know a lot about non-Detroit activities and structures. We'll learn more on May 14-15 when Detroit will host a national MWM get-together that should bring folks together from both coasts and points in between for a National Reportback & Networking Meeting with the purpose of "Building the Movement."

Bob Mast

[lbo-talk] Re: 5000 Worker March"

robert mast mastrob at comcast.net <mailto:lbo-talk%40lbo-talk.org?Subject=%5Blbo-talk%5D%20Re%3A%20%205000%20W orker%20March%22&In-Reply-To=> Mon Apr 25 12:34:19 PDT 2005

robert mast wrote:

>We'll learn more on May 14-15 when Detroit will host a national MWM
>get-together that should bring folks together from both coasts and
>points in between for a National Reportback & Networking Meeting
>with the purpose of "Building the Movement."

That's an entierly different story. Shouldn't that sort of thing have preceded the march rather than following it by 7 or 8 months?

In an ideal revolutionary world I reckon we all would have done something differently. But it didn't happen, and capital's rape and plundering continues. Though I'm probably as skeptical as the next guy, why can't you at least wish us well? Or is that somehow too painful, or outside received wisdom? Shouldn't any reasonable worker-left effort (however the lateness) be encouraged?

Bob