[lbo-talk] A lot of the good die young....

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 27 05:17:16 PDT 2005

Sorry for all the religious stuff. I got this from a pal on ANZAC Day.

That's the day when lots of Aussies and New Zealanders do the U.S. Memorial Day kind of thing. "Gallipoli" is actually a pretty good film.

Hey, they still sell those funny paper poppies down here--in the malls, to be sure. Anyway, "lest we forget" as the Ozaryan media keeps repeating....This is my third and last post of the day.

Best, Mike B)

Activist Remembered for Human-Rights Work

By BRIAN MELLEY, Associated Press Writer

Sunday, April 24, 2005

(04-24) 15:38 PDT Lakeport, Calif. (AP) --

Marla Ruzicka was a passionate defender of human rights and the victims of war, eventually giving her life to the cause that was her passion.

Instrumental in securing millions of dollars in aid for distribution in Iraq, she had been traveling to and from the country since U.S.-led forces invaded, often going door-to-door to meet wounded Iraqis and gathering data for her surveys on those hurt and killed.

On April 16, Ruzicka became one of the civilian casualties in the conflict — killed in a car bombing in Baghdad, along with her interpreter and another foreigner.

She was remembered at her funeral Saturday as a spirited young woman whose boundless energy led her to accomplish much in her 28 years. Friends, family, journalists and colleagues came from around the world to take part in the service.

The Rev. Ted Oswald conducted the Mass at St. Mary's Catholic Church, and said it was sad that it took a tragedy to illustrate all the good Ruzicka did.

"There's no doubt in my mind that the good Lord has his hands full right now," he said, referring to Ruzicka's sometimes outspoken nature. "Not only does he have his hands full, but heaven will never be the same."

Oswald also recounted the time when an 8-year-old Ruzicka sold rocks door-to-door to buy carnations for her mother. She even managed to get the flowers on the cheap from the florist.

The upbeat homily drew laughter from the more than 600 mourners, which included actor Sean Penn, who said he counted Ruzicka among his heroes, and U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer.

Bobby Muller, chairman of Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation, said the true value of Ruzicka's work was her ability to counter people's cynicism.

"Marla demonstrated the fact that an individual can make a profound difference in this world," Muller said. "This woman was our inspiration."

Ruzicka's activism began in this town 350 miles north of San Francisco, where she worked at a convalescent home, helped abused children and started a girl's soccer team in high school. Eventually, it led her around the world — to Latin America, Africa and the MidEast, where she often traveled in harm's way.

Kevin Danaher, co-founder of San Francisco-based Global Exchange, a nonprofit international human rights organization, said Ruzicka's magic was understanding and showing unconditional love.

"That's why a 28-year-old woman from a small town in Northern California has so many people around the world grieving for her," Danaher said.

Ruzicka traveled to Iraq before the March 2003 U.S.-led invasion and later founded a group called CIVIC, the Campaign for Innocent Victims in Conflict, whose aim was to tally the number of Iraqi civilian deaths in the war. She also was instrumental in securing millions in aid money from the federal government for distribution in Iraq.

With passion for her causes and an unbridled capacity for having fun, she was remembered as a force of nature, a cross between Mother Teresa and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, said Quill Lawrence, a radio reporter for the British Broadcasting Corp.

Ruzicka often arrived in war-torn places unprepared and nearly broke, he said. But Lawrence said she quickly managed to win over the hearts of those she was helping and those whose help she needed.

Lawrence said Ruzicka repaid favors with her friendship, kindness and a ready smile. "She made me feel like I was the greatest person on earth," Lawrence told the crowd.

Ruzicka's organization, CIVIC, is urging people to honor her memory on May 3 by holding vigils to bring attention to civilian casualties of war. Another memorial for Ruzicka was planned in Washington on May 14.

****************************************************************** Live in harmony with the Earth. Abolish the wages system. http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal