[lbo-talk] Dr. Goebbels with a human face

Andy F andyf274 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 07:09:10 PDT 2005

--- Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> That propaganda is rather subtle, which makes it
> even more insidious. Take,
> for example, today's story on Vietnam. First, a
> reporter visits Vietnam,
> quickly glosses over rebuilding the country after
> the war (one would think
> it would be a major accomplishment and focus on a
> little known country), and
> then focuses on current problems, shedding crocodile
> tears over the plight
> of the rural poor. This is followed by a diatribe
> delivered by an émigré Ho
> Chi Minh hater.

Sometimes it's not so subtle, like last year's hour-or-two-long Independence Day show comparing the issues faced by the US's "founding fathers" and the new Iraqi government. Seriously, take a minute or two of honest effort to think about how you would outline that topic were you assigned to write it up. Now think of all the of work they put into it.

I just listen to Car Talk when it occurs to me.

Andy