[lbo-talk] crime & American Indians

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:53:19 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood To: lbo-talk Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:03 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] crime & American Indians

> At 7:15 AM -0400 4/27/05, NewsFromNCJRS at ncjrs.org wrote:
>
>> "American Indians and Crime: A BJS Statistical Profile, 1992-2002"
>> is available from the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) website at
>> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/aic02.htm.
>>
>> This 56 page document summarizes data on American Indians in the
>> criminal justice system and reports the rates and characteristics of
>> violent crimes experienced by American Indians. This report updates
>> a previous BJS report, American Indians and Crime, published in
>> 1999. The findings include the involvement of alcohol, drugs, and
>> weapons in violence against Indians.

Didn't I already post the link for that one?

Anywaaaay, along the same statistical front: http://www.docuticker.com/2005/04/profile-of-working-poor-2003.html

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpswp2003.pdf (14 pgs)

U.S. Department of Labor U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics March 2005 Report 983

In 2003, 35.9 million people, 12.5 percent of the population, lived at or below the official poverty threshold—1.3 million more than in 2002. Although the Nation’s poor were primarily children and adults who were not in the labor force, 1 in every 5, or 7.4 million individuals, were classified as “working poor.” This level was about the same as in 2002. The working poor are those who spent at least 27 weeks in the labor force (working or looking for work), but whose incomes fell below the official poverty threshold. The working- poor rate—the ratio of the working poor to all individuals in the labor force for at least 27 weeks—was 5.3 percent, unchanged from the rate reported in 2002. (See tables A and 1, and chart 1.) Additional highlights from the 2003 data include: • Of the 140.0 million people in the labor force for 27 weeks or more in 2003, 3.8 percent of those usually employed full time were classified as working poor, compared with 10.6 percent of part-time workers. • Although working full time substantially lowers a person’s probability of being poor, 3 in every 5 of the working poor who worked during 2003 usually worked full time. • The likelihood of being classified as working poor greatly diminishes as workers achieve higher levels of education. In 2003, only 1.7 percent of college graduates were counted among the working poor, compared with 14.1 percent of people with less than a high school diploma. • Women who maintain families were twice as likely as their male counterparts to be among the working poor. This report presents data on the relationship between labor force activity and poverty in 2003 for workers and their families. The specific income thresholds used to determine people’s poverty status differ, depending on whether the individuals are living with family members or are living... <...>

Leigh [P.S. The latest Adobe Reader update seems to have resolved the LF/CR doublespacing issue when converting to text-for-email.] =