[lbo-talk] unreal

oudeis oudeis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 10:46:43 PDT 2005

>Yeah, this is so common, and such a common irritant
>for me. A few years ago I drew money from unemployment
>insurance when out of work. I met with a career
>counselor [with a Masters of Social Work, too] who
>kept using the phrase "Now, when you get back into the
>real world...." constantly, by which she meant "When
>you get a job again..." Well, I was still paying rent,
>paying bills, and actually living quite miserably. Why
>the hell wasn't that "the real world"?

-B.

Except I said nothing of the sort. the point was: i never encounter gung ho feminists anywhere outside of academia and certainly NOT in the businessworld. this has nothing to do with real world v. unreal world, a distinction I, too, find absurd.

I said REAL LIVE FEMINIST. as in most women say, "I'm not a feminist, but...." I'm talking about how rare it is to encounter people outside academia--in the business world no less, who will admit they are feminists. i've worked with a lot of women, because a lot of women are high up the food chain in the sector I worked with. Occ I meet people who have some interest through college, perhaps, but they're not gung ho feminists proud to call themselves that. It had nothing to do with the unreality/reality of academia. you would have to look really hard to find me saying what Woj ascribed to me. it's one of my pet peeves. but no.... assume the worst of your friends and colleagues. pay no attention to anything they've ever said.