[lbo-talk] unreal

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Apr 27 11:02:03 PDT 2005

Oudeis:
> Except I said nothing of the sort. the point was: i never encounter
> gung ho feminists anywhere outside of academia and certainly NOT in
> the businessworld. this has nothing to do with real world v. unreal
> world, a distinction I, too, find absurd.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your intentions, but the distinction itself is quite common.

I disagree, however, that feminism lives mainly in the academia. That may be true of certain brand of pomo identity politics, but you can find the "bread and butter" feminism in unexpected places. For example, in the mid 1980s I worked for the Department of the Army, and they were looking for volunteers for a prevention of sexual harassment training. I volunteered and discovered that the Army implemented an elaborate program to assure harassment-free work environment. That was in the times when in most progressive the men were still making a revolution while women were making coffee.

Wojtek