[lbo-talk] Class enemy prepares to eliminate card-check

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 28 08:15:39 PDT 2005

Michael Dawson:

> If we had half a brain, we would welcome the idea of secret ballots
> -- secret to everybody, bosses included.
>
> Of course, if you've spent five minutes inside the hierarchy, there's
> one other spot where lefties ought to be ramming home secret ballots
> -- in state and national union elections.

Michael, we're not talking about internal union elections. We're talking about card-check recognition. There's no such thing as a "secret" ballot in a union recognition election, and anyone who's been involved in a campaign knows this. Kevin LaPalme summed up more succinctly than I did why the analogy between secret ballots in union recognition elections and secret ballots in political elections just doesn't apply. But as I mentioned before, triggering a NLRB union recognition election in the first place requires that workers sign cards, so they're already stating their intent to form a union -- hardly a "secret" ballot.