[lbo-talk] Rap and Detroit

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 28 13:57:51 PDT 2005

> CB: That's an interesting question. Nothing comes into my imagination
right
> off. What are you imagining might result ?
> (There is Eminem)
>
> Wait. I just imagined the end of rap , if too many white boys start
singing
> it. Although, the opposite happened with jazz and rock and roll.

Well, just think of a white band singing about 'niggas' 'bitches' committing acts of random violence, etc. It would be scandalous. If blacks do that, however, it somehow becomes more "acceptable."

Long time ago I came across a study of police prejudice arguing that stereotypes play an important role in it. That is blacks and whites in stereotyped roles (e.g. whites acting 'civilized' and blacks acting 'uncivilized') are less like to be beaten up by the cops that whites and blacks reversing the stereotyped roles (i.e. whites acting 'uncivilized' and whites acting 'civilized').

I think something similar applies to music and art in general, and not just blacks but also women. Rap fits the black stereotype and thus is more acceptable if performed by blacks. By the same token, classical music performed by blacks would seem less acceptable. If you think about, Bobby McFerrin performs classical music but in a "black" way, by using his voice as an instrument. I would imagine that similar stereotypes apply to women's music and literature.

So the bottom line is that rap is a rough type of music that fits the black stereotype and thus appears as more "acceptable."

> The monopoly media make sure of that. Like what do you think the average
> white American's opinion of Detroit is ?

I dunno. I was there only once, merely changing planes, and the airport sucked, albeit I hear you got a new one. But I think that most Midwestern cities suck, except Chicago, no?

Wojtek