[lbo-talk] pomo cultural lefties who valorize the poor

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Apr 28 12:55:40 PDT 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski :

I am nonplussed. When or where did I "valorize" white racism?

Pointing that "racism" can be identity politics does not deny the existence of racism - just like criticizing the "Holocaust industry" is not tantamount to "holocaust denial."

^^^^^ CB: Well, good. You have changed your tune. That's not what you used to say. Always good to make progress.

^^^^^ -Clip-

Second, this whole rap thing is using black people to do some questionable work that white people would not want to touch. Can you imagine what would happen if a white band was singing rap lyrics?

^^^^^ CB: That's an interesting question. Nothing comes into my imagination right off. What are you imagining might result ? (There is Eminem)

Wait. I just imagined the end of rap , if too many white boys start singing it. Although, the opposite happened with jazz and rock and roll.

^^^^

Clip-

Fourth, it plays out the worst racist stereotypes that whites have about blacks, hence reinforcing white racism and sometimes even creating it.

Fifth, it just rubs me the wrong way. BTW, I love reggae - which is musically very close to rap - but what a difference in the message and attitude! It has good vibes, while its cousin rap sucks.

-clip-

Now, I consider myself an easy going person, having a live and let-live attitude. So if this thing affects me in a way I just described, what reactions do you think it evokes in people who are more uptight or prejudiced?

^^^^^^ CB: Yea, gangsta rap is anti-Black racist and rightwing in other ways too. I said Gangsta Rappers are the Children of Reagan. I mean that as a criticism of Gangsta Rap.

^^^^^

I agree, however, that a "white" list may not be the best forum to discuss problems of black communities. I happen to live in one, so I bring these problems up from time to time, but I think that your point about the dangers of stereotyping is well taken.

^^^^^^ CB: Fine. I'm pretty sure that white people who don't live in Black communities are very much aware of the shortcomings of the Black community. The monopoly media make sure of that. Like what do you think the average white American's opinion of Detroit is ?