[lbo-talk] pomo cultural lefties who valorize the poor

amadeus amadeus amadeus482000 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 14:50:34 PDT 2005

Coincidentally this was in today's "Daily Bleed".... http://www.recollectionbooks.com/bleed/0428.htm

Catalina Rodriguez, 24,

body shrivelled to a child's at twelve,

catalina rodriguez, last stages of consumption,

works for three dollars a week from dawn to midnight.

A fog of pain thickens over her skull, the parching heat

breaks over her body.

and the bright red blood embroiders the floor of her room.

White rain stitching the night, the bourgeois poet would say,

white gulls of hands, darting, veering,

white lightning, threading the clouds,

this is the exquisite dance of her hands over the cloth,

and her cough, gay, quick, staccato,

like skeleton's bones clattering,

is appropriate accompaniment for the esthetic dance

of her fingers

and the tremulo, tremulo when the hands tremble with pain.

Three dollars a week,

two fifty-five,

seventy cents a week,

no wonder two thousands eight hundred ladies of joy

are spending the winter with the sun after he goes down . . .

— Tillie Olsen, excerpt,