[lbo-talk] Rap and Detroit CORRECTION

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 28 16:47:30 PDT 2005

I hit the send button when I intended to hit the quote button on the preceding post.

Leigh Meyers wrote:

> Funny thing, in my town the rap shows are mostly attended by rich
> white kids trying to piss their parents off. But when reggae shows up,
> everyone... Chicanos White Black comes out.

In the article I referred to, one of the central arguments was that the outrage at rap had _precisely_ to do with the fact that its major audience was among white suburban youth. I myself know nothing about it, and my guess is that Wojtek and other moaners know even less. It's always much easier to have really strong opinions if you are utterly ignorant of the domain concerned but don't want to admit it.

At a time (quite a few years ago) when I still thought Wojtek was simply ignornat of u.s. history I (and others) tried to explain to him the history of racism as the ideology of white supremacy rather than as the subjective feelings that he focuses on. But he proved incapable of learning anything on the subject of "race" & u.s. society. Invincible ignorance, which is (usually, not always) in this area a sign of a deep seated racism.

Carrol