[lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 11:05:47 PDT 2005

---- Original Message ---- From: Thomas Seay To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 9:11 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Sex Panic at SUNY

> --- Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> IMHO, S/M people must live boring, unexciting lives
>> have to think up crap like dripping wax on each
>> other.
>
> How many have you known? They are not necessarily
> boring and only a few enjoy inflicting or sustaining
> real pain (like dripping hot wax). It's an
> imaginative extension of sex play. BTW, some of them
> say the same thing as you about people who just engage
> in vanilla sex.
>
> -Thomas

Actually? Quite a few! Some for many years. I live 90 miles south of SF, in a rather "unique" community, and spent my teen years in the 60s hippying around the E/W village in New York. At least one person on this list can vouch for my whereabouts in the 60s. BTW, is the Eagle's Nest still at the bottom of Christopher street by the Hemway truck terminal?

Did they ever fix that bathroom door?

Go into the local sex boutique... they'll be glad to sell you an S/M instruction book. S/M is Sooooo mainstream nowdays, and the average practitioneer is quite simply conformist in the rest of their lives... which implies "boring".

As far as "plain vanilla" sex, that's your perception, but what does it mean? Missionary position only? No oral sex? I can define S/M, but I suspect "plain vanilla" is a construct to define what you *aren't* doing, and it means nothing to anyone else.

I'm not talking about an occasional slap on the ass, or my partner punching me in the arm for an erotically "rude" suggestion. I'm talking about the ceremonialization of pain play by people who never really experience much externally inflicted physical pain in their day-to-day existence.

Snit Poll?

S/M as a *mainstay* erotically vs no S/M by income, occupation and/or social "class"?

Leigh www.leighm.net