[lbo-talk] How Americans would respond

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sat Apr 30 11:25:38 PDT 2005

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I gotta confess, I just don't get the video game thing. It seems weird and
> alien to me. Not because of the technology, but because of the solitariness
> and alternative universe aspects of it. I'm all for the technology; I can't
> wait to go down to the Apple store sometime this weekend and pick up a copy
> of 10.4
>
> Doug

I'm sure Dennis will jump in, but I think video games are like many commodities: they can encourage social connections with others (e.g., massive online play) and they can encourage social isolation. Same thing with cars: some people spend all their time and money restoring their beautiful 66 Mustang and live in their own little world, and others join car clubs and develop friendships.

Miles