[lbo-talk] Wal-Mart's PR war

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Aug 2 09:15:28 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

> My friend Aaron worked as the office manager for
> Robert Greenwald's production company when they were
> doing their documentary on FOX news, and he got paid
> almost nothing, and had to quit after being denied
> promised raises. His staff got paid even less, most
> of them being unpaid interns.

The fact that almost every organization that advocates for workers rights also screws over its own workers is a sad fact. I think it applies to every place I've ever worked. Working conditions are sometimes worse at progressive places on the idea, justified in some ways and unjustified in others, that you are giving to the cause, so you deserve less decent treatment than if the only reason you were there was for the money.

In some ways, as you see the debate on Pacifica, it's hard to talk about pay for the full-timers when volunteers may wonder why they are doing everything they do for free.

Nathan Newman