[lbo-talk] Anti Latin American Postings

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 3 07:10:48 PDT 2005

Cristobal:
>>>I know this is a list in which most members care more about what's going
on in Kyrzigistan than on their own backyard south of the border, but it is of interest how the few postings on Latin America carry an anti Left taste. Last week it was Frank Scott criticizing  the left that opposes the racist Minute Men in Texas. Although it provoked a swift response by Dough Henwood, no body else bothered to contest this neo-nazi posting . Today we have a new one by John Norem making fun of Venezuela's new program on higher education via the Universidad Bolivariana, which according to the article,  is just an ideological joke and not a new venue for actual college education.It seems written by someone working for Condoleeza Rice or John Bolton. Last month some one made fun of Ferrnando Botero's art work on US Army torture in Iraq.<<<

Hmmm. Somehow, I missed that. What I do recall re. Latin America, and Venezuela in particular, is a posting a couple of months ago encouraging buying gas from Citgo, because it is 100% owned by the Venezuelan government and proceeds fund social programs in that country. I did as asked and forwarded the posting to my friends.

I do think, however, that LA has been overshadowed by the war in Iraq and terrorist activities, even though there are some interesting development there e.g. Brazilian government endorsing the open source software which made Micro$oft tremble in its shoes. But the sad thing is that with the 'Marxist insurgencies" all but gone, LA became a backwater. Am I missing something?

PS. I do not think that US vigilantism deserves any attention on this forum. As bat'ushka Stalin used to say, for these folks four walls are three too many.

Wojtek