[lbo-talk] Indo-US nuke deal reciprocal

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 23:53:46 PDT 2005

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050804/main1.htm

Indo-US nuke deal reciprocal PM says separation of civilian, military facilities possible Rajeev Sharma Tribune News Service

New Delhi, August 3 Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today made a slew of wide-ranging, far-reaching assurances to the Lok Sabha about fears and suspicions raised about his recent visit to the United States, the most important of them on the Indo-US nuclear agreement about which he said all commitments were "reciprocal" and that segregation of civilian and military nuclear facilities was possible.

A significant comment that Dr Manmohan Singh mentioned briefly related to Indian's campaign for the permanent membership of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) when he indicated that his government still had not given up hope despite Washington's refusal to back India's candidature. He said, without elaborating, when some concrete action takes place, the Indian case will be taken up. "I have reasons to believe that when time comes, India's role can no longer be ignored."

The Prime Minister, who spoke extempore for nearly an hour while replying to a four-and-a-half-hour discussion under Rule 193 on his last week's suo motu statement on his US visit, said even if the US Congress were not to approve the nuclear agreement, "We have the US Government's commitment". By talking about the Bush administration's commitment, he was implying that if the US Congress were to block the agreement, President George W. Bush would use his discretionary presidential waiver.

- Snip -

While referring to the Indo-US Joint Statement, released in Washington at the conclusion of his visit, the Prime Minister said: "There is nothing in this Joint Statement which suggests that we have given up our nuclear programme."

The Prime Minister came up with a categoric assurance on another important point — the Iran-Pakistan-India gas pipeline — and said the government was committed to making the pipeline a reality. "This is a matter between Iran, Pakistan and India. The US has nothing to do with it. Period."

He summed up his speech with one more categoric assurance amidst thumping of the desks from the Treasury Benches, though it was far more subdued than the applause he received during his address to the Joint Session of the US Congress and Senate in Washington. The Prime Minister said: "I was not there to sell India. I was there to pursue the policies which have been approved by our own Parliament."