[lbo-talk] Zirin on Bush's real steroid problem

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Aug 4 05:53:29 PDT 2005

[The last paragraph is where the fun stuff is]

Rafael Palmeiro and the Politics of Distraction

By Dave Zirin

A close compatriot of President Bush squats in a scandal so malodorous

it led news shows from coast to coast. It's a scandal that some say is

too hot for Bush to comment on. But there was the President, speaking

without a stammer or stutter on this issue of pressing national

concern.

There was only one curious twist. The scandalized bosom buddy was not

the bosomy Karl Rove, but Baltimore Orioles first baseman Rafael

Palmeiro. Yes, in an era of war and economic crisis, Bush took time to

rush to the defense of a four-time All-Star who has become the highest

profile casualty of Major League Baseball's steroid testing program.

Bush called Palmeiro a "friend" and said, "He's testified in public

[to being clean], and I believe him.... Still do." Presidential

lickspittle Scott McClellan also made clear at a White House press

briefing that Palmeiro has the full support of the Oval Office. It no

doubt will puzzle future generations (or present ones, for that

matter) why the President felt compelled to comment on what a 40 year

old ballplayer may or may not have ingested. But the reasons are clear

enough. This is a case of how the Bush administration's Politics of

Distraction have turned around to nip the President in the tush. It

all began at the January 2003 State of the Union address when Bush

inexplicably took time to talk tough on steroids. As New England

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady grinned next to the First Lady, Bush

put the plague of steroids on the front burner of the national

consciousness. This was Politics of Distraction 101, a classic ploy to

give the public something to chew over instead of those two pesky

countries the US armed forces happened to be occupying.

But a fly flew into the flaxseed oil when bankrupt former all-star,

Jose Canseco attempted to capitalize on steroid mania by releasing an

inject-and-tell book called, appropriately enough, Juiced. In Juiced,

Canseco names every buttock that cozied up to his all-star syringe.

Two of those cheeks, Canseco revealed, belonged to Palmeiro. The

repercussions were immediate. Palmeiro had always presented himself as

a Holy Joe, a rock ribbed Republican, a podium thumper for the

American Dream. Thanks to Canseco, Palmeiro found himself subpoenaed

and forced to testify in front of congress last March. Grimacing with

indignation, Palmeiro wagged his finger and said under oath," Let me

start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't

know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never."

The performance was convincing. So convincing Palmeiro was even named

to a Congressional committee that would work to "clean up the sport."

Canseco was the liar. Palmeiro the hero dragged through the mud. Never

mind that after Canseco joined the Texas Rangers Palmeiro's home run

averages jumped from 19 per year to 37. Never mind because the

steely-eyed Palmeiro made you believe that his anger was righteous.

Now, in the wake of this latest test, he looks like the one thing

worse that a liar: a sanctimonious liar. As Tom Boswell of the

Washington Post wrote, "In this culture, heaven help you if, after

playing that once-per-lifetime, I-swear-on-a-stack-of-Bibles card, you

get caught."

But Palmeiro thinks he can whip out those Bibles for an encore. In a

teleconference Monday, Palmeiro said, "When I testified in front of

Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the

truth. Today I am telling the truth again ...I have never

intentionally used steroids. Never. Ever. Period." [the guy has to lay

off the periods.]

Palmeiro's state of disgrace also means that we are now treated to the

sight of Canseco, last seen living with Omarosa and Bronson "Balki"

Pinchot on VH1's "The Surreal Life", posturing like Abe Lincoln,

parading around talk shows saying things like (and I love this quote)

"Palmeiro's test proves that almost everything in my book is true."

If we are now to accept Canseco's book as holy writ, we should also

remember that his Texas Rangers team had an owner named George W. Bush

who Canseco describes as "most certainly knowing" that the players

were on the juice. This went wildly underreported when the book was

released, largely because Canseco's credibility was in constant

question. Now that Canseco has morphed into Honest Abe, we should

start asking whether Bush should receive the next congressional

subpoena about steroids in sports. We should ask what Bush actually

knows and when did he know it. We should press Palmeiro on what his

friend in the owner's box, the former cheerleader from Yale, did and

did not allow. We should take these Politics of Distraction, which

Bush hoisted into our lives and drop the whole stinking, steaming,

anabolic load on his front door.