[lbo-talk] Fox news: we never said that

Simon Huxtable jetfromgladiators at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 15:06:07 PDT 2005

>From today's Guardian diary:

Not since reports that Rupert Murdoch's Fox News was being taken to the US federal trade commission over claims that its "fair and balanced" slogan was a fraud has the station's reputation for handling facts been so cruelly questioned. But now, following its coverage around July 7, Fox again stands accused of rewriting history - this time its own. You'll no doubt recall the fine contribution in the wake of the London bombings by Fox's Brit Hume, with his "time to buy" shares comment; and also John Gibson who (on July 6) reckoned (among other things) that the Olympics should have gone to France as: "they'd blow up Paris, and who cares?" Bleeding heart broadcasting, you'll agree, which is available to listen to for posterity on the internet - and has caused one Diary reader to write a letter of complaint. The process has escalated through the Fox hierarchy to the office of VP of international distribution Janet Alshouse. Janet is clearly a good employee, and in true Fox style has put an entirely new spin on events. In fact she questions whether the views were ever expressed at all. "May I suggest that you try watching Fox News Channel and making up you own mind about our coverage?" she writes to our reader. Good Lord, how vulgar, but there's more. "We are well aware these 'quotes' are circulating on websites and the original came from a notoriously biased website in the States," she continues. Quite so. Much of it is available on Foxnews.com

Simon

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com