[lbo-talk] health care reform = revolution?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 13:42:48 PDT 2005

On 8/5/05, Tommy Kelly <tkelly15450 at charter.net> wrote:
> Jordan Hayes wrote:
> Because in the US we do not have socialized medicine and the
> amount you pay for insurance is generally the whole amount, it makes no
> sense to compare this premium payment to the amount that Tommy paid for
> his neck MRI (BTW, hope that's going okay for you, Tommy).
>

> I'll be alright, thanks for asking.

Jordan - yeah, but the amount we pay for insurance is not the whole amount either. There are co-pays, uncovered stuff and so on. Overall, as Doug pointed out we pay more than they do in Canada. We pay a higher amount per person, a higher percent of our GDP. And we get worse care. Maybe five or ten percent of the population is better off with this system than with Canada -but that is it. Most of us, including most of the insured would be better off with a Canadian style system.