[lbo-talk] Cop Killer Bullets

Mycos mycos at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 5 14:42:02 PDT 2005

Jordan Hayes wrote:
> "Mycos" writes:
>

>>>Teflon coatings on ammunition do not, as the mythology goes,
>>>allow for greater penetration or other kind of performance
>>>enhancement. The idea behind teflon coating is to lubricate
>>>the barrel to cut down on wear-n-tear from using higher-density
>>>bullets in handguns. Your garden variety SWAT team in the US
>>>deploys rifles which have whatever level of power they want and
>>>they have no need for teflon coated anything.
>>
>>Simple bull-shit. The Teflon does not come in contact with the
>>inner surface of the barrel. It's purpose is as intended.
>

> I read quite a bit, and would be interested to hear where you've seen
> this. I present to you a non-political, non-gun pro/con source:
>
> http://www.engineersedge.com/finishing/teflon_coatings.htm

* Amongst many other industrial applications, Teflon is used to coat certain types of hardened, armor-piercing bullets, so as to reduce the amount of wear on the firearm's rifling. These are often mistakenly referred to as "cop-killer" bullets on account of Teflon's supposed ability to ease a bullet's passage through bullet-proof armor. Any armor-piercing effect is, however, purely a function of the bullet's velocity and rigidity rather than a property of Teflon.

The point being that Teflon bullets *are* armor piercing bullets, and not simply regular bullets with the added benefit of being easy on your rifling, which is how I read the gist of your argument.

But I will take a step down with this one as I apparently am unfamiliar with bullets that are entirely encased in Teflon rather than the tip of the projectile only.

> Here's another one:
>
> http://www.worldofmolecules.com/materials/teflon.htm
>
> Regardless, a rifle will penetrate most anything you're interested in;
> the "cop killer teflon bullet" myth is only a myth about handgun ammo;
> we were talking about SWAT teams with rifles.
>

>>Let me suggest that your absurd apologies for the behaviour of the
>>right do conservatives a disfavor in that people might believe they
>>all think this way.
>

> (shouldn't that be disfavour?)

What. You think I should type Canadian too? In any case, talk to my browsers spell-checker about that one. Damned Yankees! <g>

--

Gary Williams

Prohibition Funds Terrorism ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://mycos.blogspot.com