[lbo-talk] Wikipedia silliness continues

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 08:12:07 PDT 2005

I won't comment on the current Wiki brouhaha, since I've retired from contributing. Last summer, I spent some time on the Wikipedia (as a good way to cleanse the mental palate between jobs). It's fun, but the fact is that when I stopped (as the intensity of work increased), along come various libertarians (Austrian economists, etc.) who change content often in an ignorant and especially biased way. (There are also those who use obscenities to replace entire paragraphs which they disagree with.) Not having the time or energy for a constant battle, I've given up. If unrestrained, the Wikipedia has a basic tendency to go where the LA TIMES wiki-editorial went, but more slowly.

It seems to me that the Wikipedia is an anarchist experiment. To work, all participants must constantly struggle to correct the contributions of all the others. More importantly, everyone must be _disciplined_, to avoid posting their points of view as the Truth. There must be a clear community of shared values. It looks to me as if these conditions aren't there at this time.

An alternative would be having greater editorial control, but that would be admitting that the anarchist experiment had failed.