[lbo-talk] health care reform = revolution?

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 09:53:10 PDT 2005

The specifics of the Oregon venture include being launched with inadequate resources. Most people heard about it only from opponents. The widespread belief was that if it passed:

1) People on Medicare r Medicaid would be cut off. 2) Californias would cross the border and get pedicures at the expense of Oregon taxpayers.

In the face of the modern propaganda system, there is no way to win an election if you don't have the resources to present your point of view. Nothing is so self-evidently good that it can pass without an adequate campaign. In California you had more resources, but the money was put into a top down media buying campaign - which is a terrain progressives can't win on. (The other side will always have more money.) To extent progressive get involved in electroral politics, my opinion is that it should be done only when you have adequate resources, and that those resource need to translate into live bodies rather than merely media images or electrons.