[lbo-talk] Oregon's health care proposal

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 16:32:33 PDT 2005

On 8/6/05, Alex <zap_path at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Michael Pugliese wrote:
>
> So how come single payer initiative got slaughtered in
> Oregon, 80-20% a few yrs. ago?
>
> -----------------------
>
> I can't say why other voters made that choice, but I
> can comment on why I voted against the proposal.
>
> First, shortly before the election the measure was
> polling to be a fairly tight contest, so it didn't
> seem like a good idea to make a symbolic statement of
> support if I didn't want the proposal to actually
> pass. If I had known it would go down to such a
> spectacular defeat, I would certainly have voted yes.
>
> Second, having a state health care system rather than
> a national one is problematic. For example, will
> patients needing very expensive care move to Oregon?
>
> Lastly, the proposal was very ill-defined and left
> most of the decisions about how the program would
> actually be run to a committee to be formed after
> passage. If Oregon implemented a single payer system
> that was a prominent disaster, it would be harmful to
> efforts to establish a national program.
>
> Unfortunately, the huge margin of defeat is now
> regularly cited as evidence that voters don't want
> national health care. It's not clear to me that the
> vote should be interpreted this way.
>
> -Alex

Alex you were wrong in thinking it would have been a disaster if implemented. First Canadian single payer was implemented one state at time - so it is not automatically a disaster.Given the huge savings in administrative costs and prescription costs the small number of additional people it would have attracted would have been a net savings in health care costs. Rememver this would have been replacing money currently spent on private insurance.

As to lack of specifics - there is a limit to how specific you can be - too rigid a specification and you just tie hands of administrators. It put a ceiling on costs, a floor on benefits, and required global budgeting. Much more specific than that and you are micro-managing in the legislation.