[lbo-talk] U.S. assuming the moral high ground again

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 20:10:04 PDT 2005

Forgot this...

> Although the US had not exported antipersonnel mines since 1992 and
> had not used them since 1991, Human Rights Watch quoted news reports
> as saying the Army was planning to deploy a new remote-controlled
> landmine system called Matrix in Iraq. The technology for Matrix, it
> said, was the same as the one for Spider.

The "spider": http://www.atk.com/AdvancedWeaponSystems/advanceweaponsystems_barriersystems.asp

FYI: "Matrix" is the "Spider" laptop computer control system utilizing Claymores. I assume that since there's more direct control of the mine, the pesky little problem with them being turned around and used against our own troops is diminished.... but not eliminated.

I suspect that the operating soldier will be operating out of visual range and will rely on some sort of "taggant" to discern combatant from civilian, which leads to some potential interesting scenarios a la' the Bedbug sensor debacle in Vietnam wherein the Vietnamese started pissing on the nearby trees and left the area, only to have the USAF send in multizillion dollar airstrikes on an occasional unlucky water buffalo.

If "taggant" it is, it will be interesting to see what is used. DU? Cordite?

Another option is a CCD camera on an xmitter. Not foolproof.

Anyway, it's nice to know that MY COUNTRY has abandoned any global ethics it has left to claymores and napalm.... again.

You'd think they'd won a war for us somewhere... but you'd be wrong.

Leigh