[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on India: wrong? (was, U.N. seeks aid...)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 12:49:36 PDT 2005

--- ravi <lbo at kreise.org> wrote:

> ack, don't go there (and force me to respond with
> the old cliche about
> the trains running on time under mussoulini)...

Don't you think it odd that people* ignore the political prisoners in Cuba and China, which both have one-party states, and harp on Russia, which has zero political prisoners (though it does have one con man and professional mobster who pretends to be one), more parties than you can shake a stick at, and a president with 80% approval rating? Hard authoritarianism is OK in Cuba and China, but soft authoritarianism directed exclusively against mobsters is bad in Russia? What's the reason for this? Venezuela gets kudos for lowering poverty (if it has, I don't know) but Russia doesn't? How come? Because it's not implementing Venezuela-type land reform and teaching literacy to the poor, which would be irrelevant in Russia? Why all the calls for Chechen independence, even though most Chechens don't want independence and the experiment with independence was a disaster? What's up with that? Where are the calls to support the Uighurs?

* This stuff is all over the Internet.

the
> US right likes to
> say: the left would prefer american troop deaths and
> more iraqi bombings
> so they could see their theories validated. they are
> wrong of course
> (not that i speak for the left, but burden of proof,
> etc...).

I speaking tongue in cheek. It's a pop psych theory. ;) The "capitalism will cause Russia to collapse" trope was very common in the 1990s.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail for Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail