[lbo-talk] yield/peak oil

Celi Ben cpthron at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 13 18:39:08 PDT 2005

Hey - aren't we near the inverted yield curve that people talk about? It hasn't been sharply moving in that direction, but isn't this still important?

in other news, here is an article about the preparations of some Mendocino county people. I have met a few people like this: http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/08.10.05/willits-0532.html " Perhaps Willits could become what Heinberg terms a "lifeboat," carrying a few survivors to some unknown solution in the future. Or perhaps Willits will become self-sustaining, only to be overrun by starving, rampaging hordes from the cities. Shouldn't WELL establish a militia to defend against such possibilities?

"The questions of militias came up early on," says Brian Weller. "What do we do under a Mad Max scenario?" referring to the postapocalyptic science-fiction movies where rampaging hordes murder, rape and kill in a desperate battle for the last drops of gasoline. In the end, the steering committee delegates the issue to the social organization group, which in turn delegates defense issues, at least for now, to the local police and sheriff's departments.

"Most of [law enforcement's] plans deal with acute problems, like fire and disease," Bradford says doubtfully. "They haven't thought about things like long-term food security, for example."

There is, of course, another solution if the hordes come from the city.

"We'll just blow up the bridge in Hopland," Cotler says, only half-jokingly. "

_________________________________________________________________ Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee® Security. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963