[lbo-talk] One reason to like Ike....

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Aug 15 09:48:27 PDT 2005

You'll get no argument from me on that score. Hell, the old swine pulled the plug on the Geneva elections in '56, and thereby ignited, or re-ignited, the South-East Asian inferno. There's little to recommend in the man, unless one is a golfer.

> At the time, those Texas oil millionaires thought Ike was a whole lot
> worse than that. Remember "None Dare Call it Treason"? According
> that deathless screed, Ike was a Soviet agent.

Don't glamorize the prick too much. He had the same sort of friends & associates that Kerry/Bush do. He offered the a-bomb to the French at the time of Dien bien phu. He ordered the assasination of Patrice Lumumba. The overthrow of Arbenz & of Mossedegh occurred on his watch. A president's actions owe far more to the general political climate and to the current stage of the class war than to his personal virtues or vices.