[lbo-talk] query:Cindy Sheehan

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Aug 16 08:00:56 PDT 2005

philion :

http://mediamatters.org/items/200508100009

Cindy Sheehan "changed her story on Bush"? Tracking a lie through the conservative media

-clip-

Reporter editor Diane Barney also responded to Drudge in an August 9 column, in which she said that Sheehan's positions on Bush and the war have not changed since June 2004.

^^^^^^ CB: Plus, she's allowed to change her mind from neutral or pro-Bush and the war to "anti-Bush and the war". That's democracy. That's thought. The First Amendment protects her right to think and change her mind and political position.

Changing Americans' minds on the war is the main aim of the peace movement. This Drudge tactic seems to counter that goal by stigmatizing anyone for a change of mind upon further reflection and experience. So, what if she changed her mind. She experienced growth. Bush changed his mind from his pre-election speeches and promise not to nation-build.

Things change.

^^^^^^

"We don't think there has been a dramatic turnaround. Clearly, Cindy Sheehan's outrage was festering even then," Barney wrote. "In ensuing months, she has grown more focused, more determined, more aggressive. ... We invite readers to revisit the story --in context -- on our Web site and decide for themselves." An August 8 Editor & Publisher article quoted Barney further clarifying the paper's position: "It's important that readers see the full context of the story, instead of just selected portions. We stand by the story as an accurate reflection of the Sheehan's take on the meeting at the time it was published."