[lbo-talk] the World Can't Wait

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 14:36:32 PDT 2005

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Plus Ernst Junger was a way better writer than
> anybody
> at the Weekly Standard. ;) Seriously, hasn't anybody
> read any fascist writers? They were very un-Bushy.

See? What Bushie could write something like this? ;)

Summer was Naked

Translated from the Italian by Diane Mehta

First of all I saw her foot race through

the scorched pine needles

while the storm-lashed air trembled

as if an effusion of white flames.

Cicadas fell silent. The brooks

churned, they became more raucous.

Resin ran copiously, lamenting, down the tree trunks.

I recognized the scent, a hint, of the garden snake.

I caught up with her in the olive grove

and ran through the sky-blue shadows of the branches

on her curved spine and her tawny hair

in the silver Palladium soundlessly fly across.

Further on, in the stubble of landscape

the skylark lept from a smooth furrow,

it sung her name to the heavens.

I, too, called her name then.

Among the oleanders she turned

like a bronze-colored harvest in the reeds

she thunderously entered.

Further on, along the beach,

her foot got tangled in seaweed.

She fell, stretched out between sand and water.

The west wind foamed in her hair.

She appeared immense, immense her nakedness.

Note: Gabriele D'Annunzio, born in 1863, was an Italian poet, novelist, and dramatist known for works that combine naturalism, symbolism, and erotic imagery. His colorful life included an affair with world-famous actress Eleanora Duse, a stint in Parliament, military heroism, fascist sympathies, and dictatorship over the town of Fiume, which he and loyal troops occupied for eighteen months. He died in 1938 and was given a state funeral by Mussolini.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!