[lbo-talk] the World Can't Wait

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 16 15:33:07 PDT 2005

On 16 Aug 2005 at 13:41, Chris Doss wrote:

> The Bushists do not have a Blut und Boden philosophy,
> do not have a Fuhrerprinzip, and do not posit a mystic
> link between the Land, the People, the Party, and the
> Leader. Those are important parts of fascism.
>
> Plus Ernst Junger was a way better writer than anybody
> at the Weekly Standard. ;) Seriously, hasn't anybody
> read any fascist writers? They were very un-Bushy.
>
> (As a brief and here irrelevant aside, I don't
> consider Nazism as representing the essence of
> Fascism. Nazism has the whole racial lunacy thing
> stuck onto the decidely still nuts but less lunatic
> structure of Fascism. Real Fasism is like il Duce, not
> der Fuhrer. Note that Junger, mentioned above, was an
> enemy of the Nazis.)
>
> Nu, zayats, pogodi!

Certainly fascism was more virulently racist in the '20's and '30's than it would be today but that is more a reflection of the times than a necessity for fascism. The Minutemen are certainly blood and soil believers and while Bush and/or Rumsfeld may not explicitly believe in this philosophy they do exploit it to their own ends. Bush has also appointed people to positions of power who hold racist ideas. The superiority of the white US system is not questioned in Bush's mind. Large billborads with Bushs image on them and the text "Our Leader" certainly speak of a Fuhrerprinzip current in many Bush supports thinking. No mystic link? Bush thinks he was appointed by god to bring 'merican values to heathens! While the mystic link is different today than it was in the '20's and '30's that again is more a reflection of the times than something inherent to fascism. In Umberto Eco's essay on fascism he list other factors. Cult of tradition, Disagreement is treason, Newspeak (Fascist schoolbooks made use of an impoverished vocabulary, and an elementary syntax, in order to limit the instruments for complex and critical reasoning) and several others. The main ingredient missing to my way of thinking is hyper-nationalism within the relationship to corporations. The Bush group are not nationalistic and not really interested in attempting to appease that faction of the right. This is a significant difference but not one that concerns me much when I hear others use the term fascism to describe the Bush policies. There are far more similarities than differences and no one said fascism today must be identical with fascism of yesterday. A close enough fit will suffice. I don't think we're there yet and I'm not certain that the hyper-nationalistic aspect will ever manifest itself but I don't rule out the possibility. Give us some serious climate change and an impression of oil shortages and you never know. More likely in my mind is something similar to fascism that probably needs a new name.

John Thornton