[lbo-talk] Better Than China, Saudi Arabia, Etc.!

KJ kjinkhoo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:02:08 PDT 2005

On 8/17/05, uvj at vsnl.com <uvj at vsnl.com> wrote:
> KJ wrote:
>
> >Note: theirs is not a discussion so much of the causes of death, but
> >of the changing rates for the various causes, and their relative
> >contribution to the increased mortality of 1990-94.
>
> Malaysia appears at 52 in the global HDI ranking. What are health indicators in Malaysia?

By 2004 HDR, it's 59, below Russia. That's mainly from the combined enrolment rate and the inequality, I think -- have to go back to look at the way the various components are totalled up. Our gini is whopping high at 0.46 (on gross household income, so not comparable to India's which is on consumption).

On health indicators, it's all pretty good -- although the HDR suggests that it's not for the GDP pc (PPP) level, indicated by the negative result of (GDP pc rank - HDI rank), which some may want to use as the basis of an argument that the PPP rankings are somewhat faulty. Incidentally, the negative result of the same calculus for India is larger (-10, vs -2 for Malaysia).

Specifically, life expectancy at 73, IMR at below 10, toddler mortality (1-5) at well under 1. Practically universal clean water supply and approaching universal sanitation. Basically, the disease pattern is now that of diseases of lifestyle, with that as the major causes of death.

kj