[lbo-talk] A Social Strike is coming to San Francisco. Spread the word.

Ian M. mcleod9 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 11:34:35 PDT 2005

There are a couple of ideas behind the social strike. First, tell the city that it's not alright anymore to balance the budget of a vital public service by raising fares and cutting service. That they call it a "compromise" is even more sickening.

Second, try, even in a small way, to build solidarity and comraderie around an issue that hundreds of thousands of San Franciscans come together on every day. That said, the organizing won't be done on Sep 1. It will just be beginning.

Third, noone wants to do the job of MUNI's bureaucrats for them. Riders won't pay, but the key also is that drivers won't collect, yet the buses will be running, people can get to work, etc. MUNI and the city need to figure out longer-term funding for the transit system. The place to start is downtown...

Fourth, "yesteryear era protesters?" Nice one.

-Ian