[lbo-talk] A Social Strike is coming to San Francisco. Spread theword.

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Aug 17 12:13:15 PDT 2005

Ian:
> Third, noone wants to do the job of MUNI's bureaucrats for them.

That strikes me as a rather flippant characterization of public sector employees - but then again, the negative attitude toward the government is yet another place where I part company with the US left (if there is such a thing).

I used to work for county government in Santa Clara County, including transportation issues (ok MUNI it ain't, but close) - and I would not use a disparaging word "bureaucrats" to characterize public sector employees. Most of these folk are dedicated public servants trying their best to provide good quality public services against the odds and visceral opposition of various private interests.

To give you an idea, after the 1989 quake, the county transit system established a bus service over the badly damaged Hwy 17 connecting San Jose and Snat Cruz to facilitate commute. That was met with a visceral opposition from a private career, Peerless, who provided a crappy and overpriced service on the same route, who claimed to have "monopoly right" (sic!) in that area. Threatened with a law suit, the county had to compromise. Add to it visceral opposition from NIMBY property owners (esp. in San Mateo county albeit I hear that this has changed somewhat recently) staunchly opposing any public transit initiative for "security" reasons (translation: "we do not want them dark skinned people coming to our neighborhood"), and you will get a picture of what these people have to deal with.

I have similar impression working on various citizen committees dealing with transportation issues in Baltimore. The employees of transportation or mass transit agencies are highly supportive of affordable and efficient mass transit - but they do not set budget priorities, politicos do -- and these tend to be highly responsive to "campaign contributions" which transit riders and workers, albeit numerous, cannot offer, while developers, car manufactures or road construction companies can and do.

Therefore, venting ones frustration on "government bureaucrats" in mass transit agencies may sail well with 'anti-gummint' populism deeply entrenched in this country's culture, but when that strategy is embraced by the folk who professedly want better public services - that seems to me like proverbial shooting oneself in the foot, or perhaps cutting one's nose to spite one's face.

Wojtek