[lbo-talk] article idea

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Aug 18 10:01:18 PDT 2005

Leigh:
> Replace the indigenous Iraqis with a new improved westernized variant.

I think you are unfair to the expat population - most of them are actually very open minded and cosmopolitan. This also applies to US expats who tend to be a nicer and gentler folk than much of the home-grown variety.

I think you are confusing 'Westernized" or "Europeanized" expats with an altogether different species, namely political refugees, a prime examples of which is the anti-Castro vermin in Florida, but many nations have their own as well. The difference is that while exapts left voluntarily because they valued other lands more than their own, the political refugees were forced out by their political opponents. While the expats tend to assimilate to the host country culture, the refuges are mentally still in their old one, fighting the old battles they lost over and over again. Most of the time, they fight it with words and on paper, but heaven forbids when they get a chance to fight it for real.

I think certain elements of Jewish diaspora in the US belongs to the second category, but interestingly, this is mostly the second or third generation of Jewish immigrants. The first generation was more of the expat kind (cf. Finkelstein's comments in _The Holocaust Industry_). I do not quite understand the mechanics of that radicalization - Finkelstein attributes it to machinations of the unholy alliance of the "Holocaust Industry" and the US foreign policy establishment, but I do not find that very convincing.

I am not sure if the same process can be observed in other ethnic minorities - certainly NOT in Germans or Poles (and other Eastern Europeans) who assimilated quite easily and the subsequent generations would not give two shits about their "old world" countries and battles - that applies even to the children of the virulent anti-communist elements expelled from EE. However, I do not have any first hand knowledge of second generation Cuban exiles.

Any comments?

Wojtek