[lbo-talk] Re: Yobs in uniform

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:46:29 PDT 2005

>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
>
>... The thin blue line is the only thing that
>separates queers - or for that matter cranks of various stripes, such as
>myself - from mob violence.

[I reiterate my contention that the police themselves are mob violence. However, having given this thread its name, I would like to apologize to yobs everywhere because I have come to see Ian Blair as the prime villain of this piece, and Sir Ian is no yob. Nosirree, Met Commissioner Carry On Cluelessly is quite the quality guy, viz.:]

Sir Ian Blair: Renaissance copper whose mettle has been tested by bomb attacks

By Robert Verkaik Published: 19 August 2005

Sir Ian Blair ... is something of a renaissance policeman.

At Oxford he read English and first developed ambitions of becoming an actor. In public he frequently draws from his literary hinterland by quoting both philosophers and writers. Recently he was heard discussing Richard Dawkins's theories of evolution with the novelist Ian McEwan at a party in Hampstead.

His mix of academic pedigree and hands-on achievement has helped him in his campaign to convince the rank and file that they must stamp out racism and sexism in the Met. Inevitably such a liberal-leaning agenda has drawn attacks from parts of the media who call him the "PC PC".

Concerns are growing about his political judgement. While he has been more than happy to lavish praise on his officers for their role in the fight against terror, particularly after the London bombings, he has been less willing to confront their shortcomings.

His remark that his officers were "very tired men and women, but they are wearing big grins" was followed a few days later by the insensitive claim that Jean Charles de Menezes had been "directly linked" to the investigation. Later he argued that the "underlying cause" of the death was not police action, but terrorism.

<http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article306878.ece>

Carl