[lbo-talk] Hypothesis: Jews Are Less Zionist and

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Aug 19 19:34:15 PDT 2005

>From what I saw at the University of Michigan, there may have been
(proportionately speaking) more ardently anti-Zionist Jews than gentiles. But there's simply no doubt in my mind that there were more ardently Zionist Jews than ardently Zionist gentiles, for the obvious reasons Marvin cited.

(And amongst the Jews, I'm relatively certain that the ardently pro Zionist dwarfed the ardently anti-Zionist.)

-- Luke

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:25:23 -0400 From: Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Hypothesis: Jews Are Less Zionist and Pro-Israel thanNon-Jewish Whites of the Same Income Group To: LBO-Talk <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Message-ID: <01aa01c5a52e$6b1823f0$0202a8c0 at MARVIN> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset=iso-8859-1; reply-type=original

Yoshie wrote:

> A majority of Jewish Americans are college educated: "A quarter (24%) of
> Jewish adults 18 years of age and older has received a graduate degree,
> and 55% have earned at least a bachelor's degree" (at <http://
> www.ujc.org/content_display.html?ArticleID=60654>). The survey is from
> 2000-1, so, by now, even larger percentages of Jewish Americans must have
> bachelor's and graduate degrees. As the Right complains, college
> campuses are the least Zionist patches of earth in the USA.>
--------------------------- Amazing statistic, at least to me: Most (!) US Jews are now college educated. The US department of education says 34% of whites (presumably including the Jewish cohort), have completed college compared to 17% of blacks and 11% of Hispanics. (http://www.ed.gov/news/pressreleases/2005/07/07292005.html). College attendance rates have doubled since I was an undergraduate in the 60s.

While the high proportion of Jewish students in the US may, as Yoshie suggests, paradoxically make college campuses "the least Zionist patches of earth in the USA", that doesn't seem to be at all the case here in Canada. Montreal and Toronto have the largest Jewish populations, and the Zionist influence is very strong at both Concordia and York universities in those cities. You'll recall, for example, the internationally-reported clash several years ago between Zionists and anti-Zionist demonstrators at Concordia over the visit of Benjamin Netanyahu. While there were some progressive Jewish students supporting the protest by mostly Palestinian and Middle Eastern students, they were far outnumbered by the pro-Zionist Jews. There's a fine documentary called "Discordia" by two young filmmakers Ben Addelman and Samir Mallal which is worth seeing if you get the opportunity to do so.

MG