[lbo-talk] Hypothesis: Jews Are Less Zionist and Pro-Israel than Non-Jewish Whites of the Same Income Group

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Aug 19 23:53:29 PDT 2005

Max says:

> If "Zionist" or "pro-Israel" means support for Israel's right to
> exist in secure borders, I doubt Y's hypothesis would hold. At the
> same time, Jews on average have a better idea of what Sharon and
> the more intransigent elements are about and may be more opposed to
> them than non-Jewish people who can't tell one Jew from another,
> especially if you factor in the Krazy Khristians who support the
> settlements.

The latter is what I had in mind. Among Jewish Americans, I believe there are much fewer boneheaded "Israel-Right-or-Wrong" types of responses to concrete questions about Israel and Palestinians than among non-Jewish white Americans, especially adjusted for income.

I think that this is a pretty interesting topic of survey, which should attract a good deal of attention (both positive and negative) and may be of some political significance (e.g., it might improve political discourse about Israel and Palestinians a little bit, decreasing anti-Semitism) if done right.

I wonder how much it costs to do this type of survey, with fairly large samples, making sure that largely secular Jews (Jewish by virtue of cultural identification, without necessarily belonging to any particular synagogue) won't get omitted from the Jewish part of the sample.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org> * Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/mahmoud- ahmadinejads-face.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/2005/07/chvez- congratulates-ahmadinejad.html>; <http://montages.blogspot.com/ 2005/06/iranian-working-class-rejects.html>