[lbo-talk] War protests in LA area

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Aug 20 12:41:17 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Is that true? Were there slaves in the White House?

I can't answer this, but as recently as the 1970s there were convicts as servants in the Georgia governor's mansion. (The governors usually chose those in prison for murder, on the basis that there is a lower incidence of recidivism among murderers than among other criminals. One of Carter's White House servants (black woman -- maid or something) had been a convict servant during his Georgia governorship. I don't know if the tradition still continues or not.

Carrol