[lbo-talk] War protests in LA area

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 20 13:54:16 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>JFK was the most avid at this. I recall he had a particularly
>>high-wattage assembly of cultural dignitaries at the White House once and
>>delivered a line that someone had written for him about the gathering
>>being the most impressive show of talent there since Thomas Jefferson had
>>dined at the White House alone. The line is kind of spoiled, though, when
>>you think that Mr. American Renaissance Man wouldn't have been dining
>>alone, exactly, but surrounded, as always, by slaves.
>
>Is that true? Were there slaves in the White House?

Well, here's what I picked up from Google, and who am I to question the Web?

"... Thomas Jefferson was the first American President to occupy the White House. Although John Adams and his wife visited the still not entirely completed White House and Abigail Adams notoriously hung up her wash to dry in the White House basement, they probably never spent the night there. When Thomas Jefferson became president, there was no White House staff, so he brought some of his slaves and they became the first White House staff. Among his slaves, Edy, the wife of Joe Fossett, and Davy and Fanny Bowles are known to have worked in the White House. ..."

<http://www.samsloan.com/jclaims.htm>

Carl