[lbo-talk] crossing picket lines

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Aug 21 08:24:07 PDT 2005

Northwest mechanics are represented by the non-AFL union, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, whose members seceded from the Machinists union back in 1998. So the unions have been feuding since then.

Right now, the IAM is accusing AMFA of proposing bigger cuts from IAM workers to pay for preserving benefits for their members.

More on the story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8844277/

This may be a suicidal move by the IAM, but you also have to ask why AFMA went on strike on its own without a joint pact with the IAM and other NWA workers. If AMFA winning its strike gets the other workers nothing and potentially more wage cuts to pay for success by AMFA, the result is understandable, even if it ends up being a prisoners dilemma where the other unions are choosing between two alternative losing choices.

Nathan Newman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:26 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] crossing picket lines

Speaking of airlines....

Coming back from vacation and trying to figure out what happened while we were gone, I've been wondering - why haven't the other unions observed the Northwest machinists' picket lines? Is it just a lost cause?