[lbo-talk] Re: Yobs in uniform

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:24:43 PDT 2005

WS seems to be embracing the Hobbesian perspective, i.e., that we need the Police (and not the one that once included Sting). We must give the State the monopoly of the control and use of the means of violence, in order to avoid the war of each against all, the world in which we are all nasty, brutish, and short. (That doesn't mean I can't have my Uzi. Rather, it means that I must have a state-granted license.)

That perspective has a point, but so does the Lockean critique (which goes back to Plato, if not earlier). Power corrupts. Following Rousseau, democratic control over the State is required.

Doug: > > Can you acknowledge that the TBL sometimes acts as a violent mob itself?

On 8/22/05, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> Of course. Any organization has a potential for corruption and abuse - even
> the Communist Party.
>
> The point I was arguing was directed at a silly anti-institutionalism and
> populism manifested, inter alia, by knee-jerk hatred of government and its
> agencies, especially law enforcement. I think I stated that quite
> explicitly in several missives in this thread while you were on vacation -
> no need for repeating it.

-- Jim Devine "Blessed are the pizza-makers." [explanation: I suggested this slogan to a local pizza parlor. They posted in on their sign. They didn't know that this was a blow against the local Hope Chapel, which posts religious slogans, often fundamentalist ones.]