[lbo-talk] FT on Bush's work ethic and ours

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 13:36:28 PDT 2005

> >If we had a labor movement in the USA, that would be on a placard at
> >a workers' demonstration.
>
> I'm not sure. I've interviewed UAW people who say their members
> prefer long hours and lots of overtime to leisure.

when I was in college, I worked as much OT as possible, to get as much $$$ as possible that wasn't under my parents' control. Also I did this so I wouldn't have to take the commuter train home in the afternoon with my father.

The avg. US worker probably wants OT to pay debts... It's micro-rationality, while the slogan on the imaginary placard is more macro-rationality.

-- Jim Devine "Blessed are the pizza-makers." [explanation: I suggested this slogan to a local pizza parlor. They posted in on their sign. They didn't know that this was a blow against the local Hope Chapel, which posts religious slogans, often fundamentalist ones.]