[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on India: wrong? (was, U.N. seeks aid...)

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Mon Aug 22 16:15:07 PDT 2005

I don't know about the other Michael Perelmans, but this one has some problems. The list has been talking about Vioxx and the reasons for distrust. The regulatory system broke down. I have no reason to believe that the regulatory system for genetic engineering is even close to being as rigorous as the testing for drugs. So all were left with will be assurances from corporations.

Even if the regulatory process is relatively strong, based on strong science, the corporate influence on science is quite thorough now.

Finally, scientists and technologists often get carried away with their own technologies. There is a large literature about scientists introducing invasive species in order to accomplish certain ends, oblivious to the numerous other problems.

We are talking about complex ecosystems, already stressed in unaccountable ways. The testing of this technology was haphazard at best.

You might enjoy: Smith, Jeffrey M. 2003. Seeds of Deception: Exposing Industry and Government Lies about the Safety of the Genetically Engineered Foods (Fairfield, IA: Yes! Books).

It is solid, even though it does not come from an established publisher.

Finally, finally, biosurveillance of corn is virtually impossible because the pollen travels over long distances.

So I guess my answer would be, much, much more testing rather than the wholesale introduction of new technologies.