[lbo-talk] Quebec separatism

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:33:20 PDT 2005

That makes sense. Languages that migrate often freeze, while metropolitan languages continue to develop. Just as Quebec French is old-fashioned French, Afrikaans is 17/18c. Dutch, etc. If the lexicographer Samuel Johnson (d. 1784) were suddenly to reappear in modern-day London, he would be thought to have an American accent; Shakespeare would sound as though he were from Co. Kerry. (Similarly, Americans don't pronounce the "h" in "herb" -- it was still too new when American English migrated.)

Your "breuvage" example is nice. Modern English has a double vocabulary of a similar sort -- cattle/beef, sheep/mutton, pig/pork, etc. The first is Anglo-Saxon, the second Norman-French -- arising from who was tending the the animals in the field and who was dining on them at table. And that distinction resulted from the unfortunate reversals that Harold II suffered on a hill at Senlac, near Hastings, in 1066 CE. --CGE